Guru Arjan Dev Ji (ਸ੍ਰੀ ਗੁਰੂ ਅਰਜੁਨ ਦੇਵ ਜੀ) : Fifth Guru of Sikhism
Guru Arjan Dev was fifth Guru of Sikhism. he was born on 15 April 1563 as the youngest son of Guru Ram Das and Bibi Bhani & as grandson of Guru Amar Dass in Goindval, Punjab. He was married with Mata Ganga in 19 June 1589. He became the fifth guru of Sikhism on 1 September 1581 as the successor of his father after his death.
Contributions of Guru Arjan Dev to Sikhism
• Guru Arjan Dev Ji contributed about 2218 hymns in Sri Guru Granth Sahib and thus finalizing Sri Guru Granth Sahib.
• He wrote Sukhmani Sahib Bani which is the daily prayer of peace of Sikhism.
• He also complied the holy Sikh book, Adi Granth, for the first time. In Adi Granth, he laid down the guidelines as fixed rules of religious and moral conduct to his followers.
• He developed Amritsar as a centre of attraction of people and built Golden Temple in Amritsar.
• He also founded other cities near Amritsar like Kartarpur and Taran Taaran.
• Guru Arjan Dev strengthened the Masand system which was introduced by Guru Ram Das .
Life phase of Guru Arjan Dev
Guru Arjan Dev Ji was a creature with universal love and Godly devotion in him offering selfless service to human beings. He was the kind of person to continually favoring the principles he believe in and even he sacrificed his life for the sake of his principles. He faced all tortures in his life before his death like sitting on red hot sand in heavy summers of May-June, boiled water was poured upon his naked body, etc. But Guru Ji never stepped behind off his principles and tolerated everything quietly.
Death of Guru Arjan Dev
On 30 May, 1606, Guru Arjan Dev Ji left his blistered body into the cold waves of River Ravi for his journey towards the heaven. Before his death, he nominated his don,Guru Hargobind Ji, as sixth Guru of Sikhism. Guru Arjan Dev was the first Guru of Sikhsim to be martyred.
Image borrowed with gratitude from news.restoringthepride.com
More articles: Sikh Gurus and Saints